Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Year in Review


I knew this time would come, but it us amazing at what pace it did. It has now been one year since I started Sensebellum, 365 days since I left Western, and one amazing experience after another. Now looking back, it is time to review.

It was 3 years ago, and I was walking with a friend through Bellingham. We were discussing how language sometimes cannot fully convey the information we wish to communicate. But, with the right  intention, body language, and inflection, the message is communicated. By what means do we perceive this information? Our Senses. In what place are these messages synthesized? Our Cerebellum.

It was 1 year ago, after playing in a multi-media performance group (The Root System) for a bit, after much experimentation and much thinking, I was ready to begin. I was ready to leave Western, to leave the bounds of a 4-year plan, ready to leave the expectations of my family and society, and ready to forge ahead the life I really deep down yearned for.

"But who will hire you? What's the matter, you don't like learning? What's wrong with school?"
These were questions I heard my family ask, or rather, me asking myself. "Am I really ready for this?" I knew I was, because I had thought it over many times. Frankly, I couldn't find a university that catered to the combinations of what I wanted to learn and I couldn't stand paying $20k a year to watch someone point at powerpoints. I remember learning how to code during this time, at my house or even during class, and falling out of my chair as the secrets of computing materialized.

It was 1 year ago that I shoved off from theses shores and started Sensebellum. The places where your senses combine: senses + cerebellum = Sensebellum. As it says on the website: "Sensebellum is here to make the world a more beautiful and interesting place through the thoughtful and creative use of technology".

Pulling from that night 3 years ago, I wanted to start something beautiful.

For instance, when I say I love to ride bikes, I really mean it. But those are just words and they can't fully convey what I feel to you - the gritty resolution of words is no match for the infinite essence of a brainwave. So, I may write you a poem, and you understand a little more. But, if I add a picture you really get the image. If I show you a movie you really get it. Add some sound and now we're rolling.

You can start to imagine how combining and integrating the senses expands the communication process. The air does not have inherent meaning, you give it meaning by speaking vibrations into it. The air, water, matter, and light in which we conduct is only the medium for communication. Sensebellum aims to be this water, to be this air, and to be this matter which enriches the world and enables new levels of communication, thinking, and experience.

In this one year, we have had a blast. From our first break working the electronic stage at Worthy Fest, to mapping multiple buildings in Seattle during the 2012 Capitol Hill Block Party: it's been lovely. From rocking 4 hard days at Meltdown to getting flown out to Maui for the Source Arts festival: we've met some lovely people and it has been a joy to be with you. From stringing bedsheets between light poles to designing a 60' stage: I've learned a lot. From barely finding room on a table, to soldering my own controllers, to touring with a band: there are certainly a full spectrum of approaches to a performance.

In the span of one year I've had the most fun in my life. I've been to 3 states, 2 timezones, 75+ shows, and a few backrooms and rooftops. I've played with Major Lazer, Andre Nickatina, and Lunice to name a few. But by far, the most fun has been the times throwing down with the local Bellingham crew of artists. From a impromptu bash in an empty lot to renting out a venue on our own: those are the times.

I couldn't have ever done this without the help and support of those around me: my family, friends, and all who I've worked with. I hope that what I create inspires others to create in their lives as well. I hope that those who encounter these experiences are moved to paint, sing, project, code, or otherwise make art in their life. If there is one truth to what I've learned it's been that you can do anything. Anything you want to do you can. All you need do is want it, think about it, and take steps towards it when they present themselves.

In short, I cannot wait for what this year holds.

Happy 2013

     Casey Scalf
     Founder and Owner of Sensebellum

No comments:

Post a Comment