Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

The CBD Oil Contact Dermatitis Report

The CDB Oil Contact Dermatitis Report
By Casey Scalf
September 10th, 2015

Brief Summary:

CBD Oil From Cannabis Cured my Contact Dermatitis
I applied Tea Tree Oil on my face. A Severe rash developed. Steroid Cream made it worse. Itchy, flaky, peeling - very uncomfortable. Normal treatment made it worse. Found CBD Oil from cannabis plant through 21+ recreational marijuana shop in Washington State. Applied to face. Cured it in 6 Days. Photo evidence and procedure below.

Abstract:

Introduction
As a brief primer for the report I must explain… In February of 2015 I took a vacation. Before leaving I thought I would mix up small container of coconut oil and essential oils for the trip to use on my skin. Not fully understanding how they would react with my skin was the fatal flaw.

The coconut and essential oil smelled great. I have used the raw coconut oil for years without problems. I also enjoyed the aromatic qualities of the Tea Tree oil. However, soon after I returned I had an itchy flare on my left eye. What better to treat a rash than with more Tea Tree oil I thought! I applied liberal amounts of the pure Tea Tree oil to the spot. This soon got very bad. 

And now the story begins.

History of Conventional Treatment
After recognizing that the mixture was actual causing the irritation (and making it worse!) I immediately stopped putting it on. I tried to sooth, gently wash, and subsidize my face with truly benign oils but the rash would not get any better. It itched, it was bumpy, it peeled, it was not a good look and it began to sink in that this may be a little more serious than I expected.

About 2 weeks after I got back from vacation I sought a dermatologist’s advice and sat down with Carol at Bellingham Dermatology and Laser. I told her about the oil, the onset, and the symptoms and she understood. “Classic case of contact dermatitis” she said. I should apply this steroid cream (cortisol) and anti-fungal cream (miconazole) twice a day. Easy enough.

I put it on as instructed and about 1 week in I noticed much better skin. The itching, the peeling, and all the other side effects subsided and I was at ease. About 2 weeks in I began tapering down the medication. This is when it crept back the first time. I scheduled another appointment and the doctor acknowledged this might happen. This time, put on more for the same period of time and see what happens. I did. And it returned even worse!

During the third visit I knew something wasn't right. I asked, “What else can be done?”. To this, the Doctor recommended I try out a new product her “rep” brought in (basically a salesperson I learned). She handed me a few coupons and was about to leave. I asked if I should stop putting on the current medication and she replied yes, “It will start to scar your face”. This was news to me. I should have looked this up independently.

I went back home and researched the cream that was recommended by the rep, “Promiseb”. I looked up reviews online. It was pricey (ca. $100 a month) and it also never actually cured anything. It would only suppress symptoms. What is going on? I felt trapped in the real life version of some fringe conspiracy video on YouTube. I had to figure this out for myself. I had to heal myself!

Research into Alternative Therapies
I am an artist and a technological entrepreneur by trade. I follow all sorts of research, tackle all sorts of problems, and I figured this would be something I could learn about and handle myself. I felt that with the internet and reason I would be able to sift fact from fiction and get down to what needed to be done. I recalled a few sources had mentioned that cannabis could be used as medicine for other ailments. I started my research there.

Lets define a few terms first…

Tea Tree Oil https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree_oil
“Tea tree oil … is an essential oil with a fresh odor … It is taken from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia, … Tea tree oil is toxic when taken by mouth, but is widely used in low concentrations in cosmetics and skin washes.”

Contact Dermatitis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_dermatitis
Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.”

Auto Immune Disorder https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000816.htm
“An autoimmune disorder occurs when the body’s immune system attacks and destroys healthy body tissue by mistake.”

Cannabidiol Oil (Aka CBD Oil) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol
“Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of at least 85 active cannabinoids identified in cannabis. CBD is considered to have a wider scope of medical applications than tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).” Cannabidiol bonds more readily with CB2 [cell] receptors (non-nervous system tissues).

Endocannabinoid System http://norml.org/library/item/introduction-to-the-endocannabinoid-system
“Endocannabinoids and their receptors are found throughout the body: in the brain, organs, connective tissues, glands, and immune cells. In each tissue, the cannabinoid system performs different tasks, but the goal is always the same: homeostasis, the maintenance of a stable internal environment despite fluctuations in the external environment.”

Research into Alternative Therapies Cont’d
After learning about these different areas I found that there was actually much hope for my condition of severe contact dermatitis.

What was happening was my cells rallied the immune system to fight off the tea tree oil. It did well… too well in fact. So well that it kept fighting and fighting until it started fighting itself. 

After much research It seemed as though the CBD molecule would be the a good next step. It could bond with the CB2 receptor sites found on the surface of most all cells - especially skin. After bonding it would send a message to the cell, to the DNA to request a certain class of proteins be made. These would then regulate the cells’ balance. As hinted in the definition: CBD is all about homeostasis. Since my disorder was all about my cells being out of balance, it was a great place to start my experiment in healing myself.


Experiment:

Activated
In my research I discovered that in order for the CBD to be effective it must be “activated”. This activated state is reached by the process of “decarboxylation”. There are various ways to do this to raw cannabis, however most CBD products come this way. Without such activation, the molecule would be ineffective at connecting with the right receptors in your cells and no results would manifest.

Topical
Although ingesting, smoking, and other methods of administering CBD oil are known, I chose to apply the CBD solution to my face directly. This was to target the exact area of the contact dermatitis so as to deliver the medicine in the most direct manner.

Product
Dama Oil 55% CBD / 23% THC 
ca. $100 1/gram
After much searching the Dama CBD oil is THE BEST and most pure CBD product I could find in Washington State. I am in no way associated with this company. However, I will say that the potency and price are the best around. Also, the extraction method is very clean (uses food grade ethanol).

I chose to obtain a pure CBD oil. As in not mixed with any butters, coconut oils, or vape solutions. It is easy to mix but hard to un-mix. I also noticed some CBD salves came with Tea Tree Oil - oh the irony.

I would also HIGHLY recommend getting it from a reputable location. Most all CBD products online come from illegitimate supplies, use intensive extraction methods, or do not have the right ingredients. More on that in an excellent report here

You can also make your own (i.e. Rick Simpson Oil) - but that is another article in of itself.

Dosage & Application Frequency
As a test I noticed that the CBD mixture was quite sticky. I mixed a 1:1 ratio with organic coconut oil. I would shower prior so that my face was warm. This helps with opening the pores. I would then apply the mixture. To my best guess the mixture was 0.05 grams of the CBD solution and 0.05 grams of coconut oil. About the size of a medium grain of rice each.



I would first mix this in my clean hands. Then apply on my face. Rubbing in gently until some of the solution had started to be absorbed. I would then lie down for about 30 minutes and let it sink in.

Burns in Eyes
The reason that is important to let the mixture sink in is that it can cause irritation in the eyes. Like about a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the pain scale. This was difficult for me because the condition I was treating was literally all over my eyelids, eyebrows, and all the corners. Water will easily flush it out with a slight cloth. No permanent damage or side effects were noticed.


Evidence:

Before and After
I meant sure to take pictures of the affected areas throughout the experience as I knew this would be the most effective way to decide whether any progress was made. I documented several angles, in consistent light, with the same camera, directly after the shower every morning. 

Description of timeline
I took the pictures over a course of 6 days. On the 7th day the dermatitis was COMPLETELY gone. I was truly amazed at how quickly it had receded.

The first few days showed very little progress. However on the 3rd and 4th days I began to see noticeable improvement. Then by the 6th day it was nearly gone.

I would highlight that this is my individual case. Yet, I am sure similar results could be experienced with similar conditions by other people.

Photo Sequence

Before and After 


6 Day Sequence 



Video Animation

Watch the sequence in video form here: https://youtu.be/DlHGMfb0lTE

Other Studies

Attenuation of Allergic Contact Dermatitis (2007)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17556587

Conclusion:

It Works
Now that it is 9 months after this experience, and I sit on my computer I am so relieved and thankful that an inching and bring sensation is not around my eyes 24/7. 

I have not seen one sign of it returning in the time since. Sunshine, dust, sweat - not one once of irritation.

I feel very fortunate to have discovered the CBD molecule from the cannabis plant for the use in healing contact dermatitis.

I had to do many, many nights of research to find out the full story. There are many obstacles to maneuver. Yet I feel that it is my duty to share some of my insights. I hope this information can help some people out.


Casey Scalf